Do I need a C-section if I have a breech birth?

Boston Women's Health Book Collective
Administration Specialist

About 4 percent of babies are in a feet- first ("footling breech"), buttocks- first ("frank breech"), or legs-crossed ("complete breech") position at the end of gestation. If your baby is in a breech position, your provider may be able to use a process called external cephalic version to manually turn your baby to a head- down position about three or four weeks before you due date. In some circumstances, a cesarean section may be the safest way for your baby to be born. In other circumstances, you may be able to give birth vaginally. Physicians with little or no experience with vaginal breech birth are understandably more likely to recommend a cesarean, as such births do require important skills. You may want to ask around to find a physician with such experience, if avoiding a cesarean birth is important to you.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth

ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED TO MAKE WISE DECISIONS ABOUT YOUR PREGNANCY AND THE BIRTH OF YOUR CHILD -- FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH" Pregnancy and birth are as ordinary...

Continue Learning about Cesarean Delivery (C-Section) & Pregnancy

Can I safely get pregnant if I have had four caesarean deliveries?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Safety, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder. However, statistics from First World count...
What is a cesarean delivery?
A cesarean delivery is the surgical procedure that is performed to deliver a baby if a vaginal deliv...
What happens during a caesarean section (C-section)?
Kevin W. Windom, MDKevin W. Windom, MD
During cesarean section, the patient is given epidural or spinal anesthesia.  When the patient is co...
6 Things You Should Know About Having a C-Section
6 Things You Should Know About Having a C-Section6 Things You Should Know About Having a C-Section6 Things You Should Know About Having a C-Section6 Things You Should Know About Having a C-Section
Cesareans are some of the most common surgeries and account for one-third of all births in the US. Cesarean delivery, also known as a C-section, is a ...