How common are caesarean sections (C-sections)?

Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)
30%-35% of all deliveries in the US are by C-section. 50% of twins are delivered this way.
Dr. Robert W. Chalmers, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

In the United States, C-sections are overall rising. Over the last five years, progressively there has been an increase in the C-section rate. Especially the primary C-section rate, meaning a patient who has come in to have her first baby and ends up having a cesarean.

There are several programs that have been put in place to try to lower that primary C-section rate. For one, we don't induce any mother one week before her due date, for elective reasons. And the second is, for first-time moms, we often ask that they go into labor on their own and not be induced, unless they get to one week beyond their due date. That's where we've made the biggest difference in hospitals that have a large percentage of inductions. The C-section rate in first-time moms in some institutions has climbed up to 40%.

Continue Learning about Cesarean Delivery (C-Section) & Pregnancy

What is a cesarean wound infection?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
The symptoms of a cesarean section (C-section) wound infection are redness around the incision, swel...
How do I strengthen my lower abs after a having a C-section?
To strengthen your lower abs after having a cesarean section (C-section) you should do core-strength...
What are the risks of having a caesarean section (C-section)?
C-sections come with their share of risks for Mom, like infection, difficulty breastfeeding, and fut...
If I've Had a C-Section, Will I Need One for My Next Pregnancy?