Why should I be concerned about cervical cancer?

Linus Chuang, MD
Gynecologic Oncology

You should be concerned about cervical cancer because it can be quite serious. It can cause profuse vaginal bleeding, severe pain, and kidney failure. It can also eventually lead to death from the cancer, but you can help prevent this disease by visiting your gynecologist regularly and getting screened. 

About eight in 100,000 women in the United State will get cervical cancer. With proper pap screenings on a regular basis, you can get rapid treatment if irregular cells are detected. With the advance of the human papillomas virus (HPV) vaccine, more young women are getting protected against HPV, which is thought to be the primary cause of cervical cancer. If you don't fall into the high-risk groups such as women who smoke, have HPV, or have a family history of cervical cancer, you probably do not have to be too worried about cervical cancer. But if you notice any irregular vaginal bleeding or have missed check-ups, get to your doctor.

Because it can take away your chance to get pregnant and have children later.  If a woman doesn't want to have children, I support that choice, but I don't want to see that choice made for her because of cervical cancer. 

Cervical cancer is a disease that can be very serious. However, it is a disease that you can help prevent. Cervical cancer happens when normal cells in the cervix change into cancer cells. This normally takes several years to happen, but it can also happen in a very short period of time.

This answer is based on source information from National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Cervical Cancer

Why the Latest Cervical Cancer Death Rates Took Experts by Surprise
The death rate from cervical cancer is actually higher among American women than previously thought, according to a study published in the journal Can...
What is the death rate of cervical cancer?
The American Cancer Society estimates that about 12,900 cases of invasive cervical cancer are diagno...
Is cervical cancer the same as uterine sarcoma?
Linus Chuang, MDLinus Chuang, MD
No cervical cancer is the cancer of the lower part of the uterus. The cervix is visible on gynecolog...
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?