What questions should I ask my doctor about cervical cancer?

You should ask your doctor questions about your risk factors for cervical cancer. You should also ask your doctor how often you should be screened for cervical cancer, and what your test results mean. 
Review the following questions about cervical cancer so you're prepared to discuss this important health issue with your healthcare professional.
  • What is my risk for developing cervical cancer? How can I limit my risks?
  • What should I do before getting a Pap test to make sure the test is as accurate as possible?
  • Are you sending my Pap test to a board-certified lab? Does a board-certified pathologist oversee this lab?
  • Do I need the human papillomavirus (HPV) test?
  • How will I be informed of the results?
  • If I have abnormal cells on my Pap test or a positive HPV test, what next steps are necessary?
  • I was diagnosed with HPV. How often do I need pelvic exams and Pap tests?
  • I am so afraid to find out I may have cancer that I'm afraid to come in for a Pap test or pelvic exam. What should I do?
  • What is a colposcopy and why do you recommend it? Will it hurt?
  • Can cervical cancer be cured? How? Can it come back after it's been treated?
If you are diagnosed with cervical cancer, consider the following questions:
  • What kind of experience do you have in treating cervical cancer? Have you had specialty training in gynecological oncology?
  • Will I have to be "checked for cancer" for the rest of my life?
  • What are the risks that my daughter will have cervical cancer too?

Continue Learning about Cervical Cancer

How does cervical cancer affect pregnancy?
Cervical cancer can affect pregnancy in a several ways. If you have been diagnosed with invasive cer...
Is cervical cancer considered a sexually transmitted disease (STD)?
Laura Corio, MDLaura Corio, MD
Yes, cervical cancer is transmitted by the virus, HPV, human papilloma virus. It is the only know cu...
What screening tests can help prevent cervical cancer?
Two screening tests can help prevent cervical cancer or find it early: The Pap test (or Pap smear...
Why should I be concerned about cervical cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Cervical cancer is a disease that can be very serious. However, it is a disease that you can help pr...