What questions should I ask my doctor about cervical cancer?

You should ask your doctor questions about your risk factors for cervical cancer. You should also ask your doctor how often you should be screened for cervical cancer, and what your test results mean. 
Review the following questions about cervical cancer so you're prepared to discuss this important health issue with your healthcare professional.
  • What is my risk for developing cervical cancer? How can I limit my risks?
  • What should I do before getting a Pap test to make sure the test is as accurate as possible?
  • Are you sending my Pap test to a board-certified lab? Does a board-certified pathologist oversee this lab?
  • Do I need the human papillomavirus (HPV) test?
  • How will I be informed of the results?
  • If I have abnormal cells on my Pap test or a positive HPV test, what next steps are necessary?
  • I was diagnosed with HPV. How often do I need pelvic exams and Pap tests?
  • I am so afraid to find out I may have cancer that I'm afraid to come in for a Pap test or pelvic exam. What should I do?
  • What is a colposcopy and why do you recommend it? Will it hurt?
  • Can cervical cancer be cured? How? Can it come back after it's been treated?
If you are diagnosed with cervical cancer, consider the following questions:
  • What kind of experience do you have in treating cervical cancer? Have you had specialty training in gynecological oncology?
  • Will I have to be "checked for cancer" for the rest of my life?
  • What are the risks that my daughter will have cervical cancer too?

Continue Learning about Cervical Cancer

5 Proven Ways to Cut Your Cervical Cancer Risk
With timely screenings and the proper prevention methods, cervical cancer can be found early—when a cure is most possible—or avoided all together. Tha...
What are the symptoms of cervical cancer?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Chief symptoms of cervical cancer include abnormal vaginal discharge, bleeding after having sexual r...
What is advanced or metastatic cervical cancer?
Advanced or metastatic cervical cancer is cancer that has spread beyond the cervix itself. This can ...
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?