What is cervical cancer?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The cervix is the lower part of the uterus, where it attaches to the vagina. Cervical cancer, which is typically seen in women over 30, is a cancer of the cells that line the interior of the cervix. Cells that are abnormal but have not yet progressed to a cancerous stage can be present for more than a year or two, though some may progress faster. Human papillomavirus (HPV) is the primary link to the development of cervical cancer.

Cervical cancer is a disease in which cancer cells develop in the tissues of the cervix. The cervix, the lower part of the uterus that protrudes into the vagina, connects the body of the uterus to the vagina. Nearly all cases of cervical cancer can be linked to the human papillomavirus (HPV), a sexually transmitted virus.

Continue Learning about Cervical Cancer

How can I lower my risk for cervical cancer?
While there are no sure ways to prevent cervical cancer, you can lower your risk by: Getting the ...
What are the recommendations for cervical cancer screening?
Henrico Doctors' Hospital  - HCA VirginiaHenrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
The American Cancer Society recommends the following: Cervical cancer screening should begin at a...
How does cervical cancer affect pregnancy?
Cervical cancer can affect pregnancy in a several ways. If you have been diagnosed with invasive cer...
How common is cervical cancer?
Cancer of the cervix is second only to breast cancer as the most common type of cancer found in wome...