What cervical cancer risk factors can I control?

An important cervical cancer risk factor that  you can control is to avoid exposure to human papillomavirus (HPV), which is associated with cervical cancer. There are several ways to reduce the risk of cervical cancer or HPV:
  • delaying sexual activity until age 21 or later
  • limiting the number of sexual partners
  • maintaining a mutually monogamous relationship
  • avoiding cigarette smoking
Also, talk to your doctor about getting Pap tests and an HPV vaccine.

Continue Learning about Cervical Cancer

How can I lower my risk for cervical cancer?
While there are no sure ways to prevent cervical cancer, you can lower your risk by: Getting the ...
Is cervical cancer the same as uterine sarcoma?
The cervix is part of the uterus; however, uterine sarcoma and cervical cancer are not the same thin...
How many women suffer from cervical cancer?
Nearly a quarter of a million women in the United States are estimated to have been diagnosed with, ...
What are the recommendations for cervical cancer screening?
Henrico Doctors' Hospital  - HCA VirginiaHenrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
The American Cancer Society recommends the following: Cervical cancer screening should begin at a...