What are the symptoms of cervical cancer?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Obvious symptoms of cervical cancer do not appear until the cancer has begun to grow. There may be some vaginal bleeding in between periods or after sexual intercourse. In addition to pain in the pelvic region, there may be heavy bleeding or an unpleasant smelling discharge. Many of the symptoms could indicate another issue as well, so an exam would be the best course of action when any of these symptoms appear. Since there are no early warning signs, it is vital that regular gynecological exams are utilized to catch any signs of cervical cancer before it gets out of control.

In its earliest stages, cervical cancer usually causes no symptoms. Irregular bleeding, bleeding or pain during sex and vaginal discharge may be symptoms of more advanced disease. These symptoms don't necessarily mean you have cancer, but they should always be discussed with a healthcare professional.

Continue Learning about Cervical Cancer

When Should Women Start Being Tested for Human Papillomavirus (HPV)?
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?