What are the stages of cervical cancer?

The following stages are used for cervical cancer:
  • Stage 0 or carcinoma in situ. This is very early cancer. The abnormal cells are found only in the first layer of cells of the lining of the cervix and do not invade the deeper tissues of the cervix.
  • Stage I cancer involves the cervix but has not spread.
  • Stage IA indicates a very small amount of cancer that is only visible under a microscope and is found in the deeper tissues of the cervix.
  • Stage IB indicates a larger amount of cancer is found in the tissues of the cervix that can usually be seen without a microscope.
  • Stage II cancer has spread to nearby areas but is still inside the pelvic area.
  • Stage IIA cancer has not spread into the tissues next to the cervix, called the parametria. The cancer may have spread to the upper part of the vagina.
  • Stage IIB cancer has spread to the tissue around the cervix.
  • Stage III cancer has spread throughout the pelvic area. Cancer cells may have spread to the lower part of the vagina. The cells also may have spread to block the tubes that connect the kidneys to the bladder (the ureters).
  • Stage IV cancer has spread to other parts of the body.
  • Stage IVA cancer has spread to the bladder or rectum (organs close to the cervix).
  • Stage IVB cancer has spread to other organs such as the lungs.

Continue Learning about Cervical Cancer

5 Proven Ways to Cut Your Cervical Cancer Risk
With timely screenings and the proper prevention methods, cervical cancer can be found early—when a cure is most possible—or avoided all together. Tha...
What cervical cancer risk factors can I control?
National Alliance for Hispanic HealthNational Alliance for Hispanic Health
The greatest risk factor associated with cervical cancer is an infection with some types of the huma...
How common is cervical cancer?
Cancer of the cervix is second only to breast cancer as the most common type of cancer found in wome...
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?