How do other illnesses affect cervical cancer?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Cervical cancer is most influenced by the presence of human papillomavirus (HPV). Although a woman can have one of the strains of HPV, the virus could run its course and cervical cancer may not develop; some types of HPV are a greater risk for cervical cancer. Or, HPV could be present in the system for years before irregular cervical cells begin to form. HPV is spread from person to person via direct contact with affected skin, so safe sex practices are not always a manner of prevention.

Other illnesses, such as HIV, that have affected or weakened the immune system could increase the risk for HPV, and then cervical cancer. Sexually transmitted diseases like chlamydia could also affect the chances of developing cervical cancer.

Continue Learning about Cervical Cancer

How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?
When Should Women Start Being Tested for Human Papillomavirus (HPV)?