How does cervical cancer affect pregnancy?

Cervical cancer can affect pregnancy in a several ways. If you have been diagnosed with invasive cervical cancer, you may need a hysterectomy, which would prevent any future pregnancies. If the cancer is less invasive, surgery can be performed that will remove the cervix, part of the vagina, and only part of the uterus making it possible to become pregnant later on. However, pregnancies after this procedure need to be monitored closely.

If you find that pre-cancerous or very early cervical cancer has developed and you are already pregnant, your doctor will evaluate the situation, and it may be safe to continue the pregnancy with the appropriate tests and biopsies following the birth to check on the cervical cancer. If the cancer is more advanced and you are still in the early stages of pregnancy, you and your doctor must decide if it is safe for you to continue or if you need immediate treatment.

Cervical cancer can affect pregnancy in a variety of ways. Symptoms of cervical cancer during pregnancy can include vaginal bleeding or vaginal discharge that can be watery, mucous or foul smelling. There can also be symptoms of pelvic pain, pain with intercourse or low back pain. Cancer diagnosed during pregnancy has many implications for the course of the pregnancy, and the treatment plan needs to be carefully considered by the woman and her doctor.

Continue Learning about Cervical Cancer

5 Proven Ways to Cut Your Cervical Cancer Risk
With timely screenings and the proper prevention methods, cervical cancer can be found early—when a cure is most possible—or avoided all together. Tha...
What is the death rate of cervical cancer?
The American Cancer Society estimates that about 12,900 cases of invasive cervical cancer are diagno...
How often should I be screened for cervical cancer?
All women should begin cervical cancer screening (via Pap test) at the age of 21, according to the U...
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?