How do I care for someone with cervical cancer?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If someone you love has cervical cancer, you may need to help her get to and from testing situations. You may need to help her cope with the fear of what is happening to her body. She may need surgery, which could be simple if the cervical cancer is caught early enough, or devastating if the cancer has progressed too far. You may need to help while she undergoes chemotherapy treatments or radiation therapy, which could cause side effects leaving her weak. You need to be sure that she eats well and goes to any follow-up appointments to keep the cervical cancer from coming back. There may come a point where you will have to just keep her comfortable if the cancer becomes incurable.

Continue Learning about Cervical Cancer

How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?
When Should Women Start Being Tested for Human Papillomavirus (HPV)?