What increases my risk for cerebral palsy?

Premature babies have a greater risk or cerebral palsy than babies who complete an entire nine-month pregnancy. Babies with a low birth weight are also at a greater risk. Cerebral palsy can occur during a pregnancy with multiple babies. Since some prenatal illnesses can bring about cerebral palsy, the mother's health is another risk factor. Work closely with your doctor if you become ill during pregnancy, and talk to your doctor about substances that contain toxins and put you at risk for illness and your baby at risk for cerebral palsy.

Continue Learning about Cerebral Palsy

What is cerebral palsy?
Cerebral palsy refers to a number of neurological problems that can affect muscle control. Cerebral ...
Are there different kinds of cerebral palsy?
Cerebral palsy is a term that refers to symptoms caused by several similar disorders. All types of c...
What is cerebral palsy?
Cerebral palsy, which affects about one in every five hundred newborns, is caused by some kind o...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with cerebral palsy?
Someone with cerebral palsy needs to learn to be as independent as possible. If you are caring for s...