How does dorsal rhizotomy treat cerebral palsy?

Dorsal rhizotomy is a kind of surgery used to treat cerebral palsy. In a dorsal rhizotomy surgery, the surgeon cuts nerves at the bottom of the spinal cord. This reduces spasticity and discomfort, especially if these symptoms are happening in the legs. However, dorsal rhizotomy is only used in severe cases of cerebral palsy, so talk to your doctor about whether the procedure is right for your child.

Continue Learning about Cerebral Palsy Treatment

Will my child need braces to treat cerebral palsy?
In many cases, a child with cerebral palsy may need the help of braces. Braces can both help you...
How do medications treat cerebral palsy?
Medication can be used in conjunction with other treatment options, such as physical and occupationa...
Will my child need surgery for cerebral palsy?
Surgery for cerebral palsy is recommended only in severe cases. Surgery can be done to re-set muscle...
What are the treatment options for cerebral palsy?
The treatment your child needs depends on the severity of their cerebral palsy. Many children with c...