Ketamine creates a dissociative effect, disrupting pathways in the brain that cause people to feel pain in the body. It is used as an anesthetic before surgeries. However, it does not cause muscle relaxation. For surgical procedures that require muscle relaxation, other drugs are combined with ketamine or an alternative anesthetic is used.
- Q Are there any risks in taking ketamine HCl?
- Q What is ketamine HCl?
- Q What research has been done to assess the safety of ketamine for children?
- Q Is ketamine safe for children?
- Q What should I know about ketamine before receiving it?
- Q How is ketamine stored?