Ketamine creates a dissociative effect, disrupting pathways in the brain that cause people to feel pain in the body. It is used as an anesthetic before surgeries. However, it does not cause muscle relaxation. For surgical procedures that require muscle relaxation, other drugs are combined with ketamine or an alternative anesthetic is used.
- Q What are the side effects of ketamine?
- Q How soon does ketamine take effect?
- Q Is it possible to overdose on ketamine?
- Q Is ketamine safe for children?
- Q What should I avoid before being administered ketamine?
- Q Who should not be administered ketamine?