Ketamine creates a dissociative effect, disrupting pathways in the brain that cause people to feel pain in the body. It is used as an anesthetic before surgeries. However, it does not cause muscle relaxation. For surgical procedures that require muscle relaxation, other drugs are combined with ketamine or an alternative anesthetic is used.
- Q Is ketamine safe for children?
- Q Can I take ketamine if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
- Q Are there any risks in taking ketamine?
- Q How long does the anesthetic effect of ketamine last?
- Q What is ketamine HCl?
- Q Are there any risks in taking ketamine HCl?