Ketamine creates a dissociative effect, disrupting pathways in the brain that cause people to feel pain in the body. It is used as an anesthetic before surgeries. However, it does not cause muscle relaxation. For surgical procedures that require muscle relaxation, other drugs are combined with ketamine or an alternative anesthetic is used.
- Q Who should not be administered ketamine?
- Q Can I take ketamine if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
- Q How soon does ketamine take effect?
- Q How long does the anesthetic effect of ketamine last?
- Q Are there any risks in taking ketamine?
- Q Is there a generic version of ketamine?