Ketamine creates a dissociative effect, disrupting pathways in the brain that cause people to feel pain in the body. It is used as an anesthetic before surgeries. However, it does not cause muscle relaxation. For surgical procedures that require muscle relaxation, other drugs are combined with ketamine or an alternative anesthetic is used.
- Q What are the side effects of ketamine HCl?
- Q What should I avoid before being administered ketamine?
- Q Can I take ketamine if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
- Q Are there any risks in taking ketamine HCl?
- Q What should I know about ketamine before receiving it?
- Q Is it possible to overdose on ketamine?