Ketamine creates a dissociative effect, disrupting pathways in the brain that cause people to feel pain in the body. It is used as an anesthetic before surgeries. However, it does not cause muscle relaxation. For surgical procedures that require muscle relaxation, other drugs are combined with ketamine or an alternative anesthetic is used.
- Q Can I take ketamine if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
- Q Is it possible to overdose on ketamine?
- Q How long does the anesthetic effect of ketamine last?
- Q How does ketamine interact with other medications?
- Q How is ketamine stored?
- Q How is ketamine given?