Question

Cellulitis

What is cellulitis?

• Cellulitis is a skin infection that can be relatively mild or very serious. It is caused by bacteria that enter the body through an opening in the outer layer of skin, most often in the legs. Symptoms include redness, swelling, heat, and soreness of the affected area.

• If the skin around an abrasion on your elbow is inflamed, red, and warm, you may have cellulitis. This is an infection which is caused by bacteria that have invaded the deeper layer of skin through the abrasion. Signs of cellulitis include swelling, redness, warmth, and increased pain in the area.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Southern Utah University Athletic Training Education Program.)
  • Cellulitis is a skin infection caused by bacteria. You may feel increased warmth, redness, and pain over the area of infected skin. It tends to increase in size unless treated by antibiotics.
  • Cellulitis is an acute, spreading infection of the deep tissues of the skin and muscle that causes the skin to become warm and tender and may also cause fever, chills, swollen lymph nodes, and blisters.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

• ADaniel Kapp, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, answered on behalf of MDLIVE

Cellulitis is an infection in the skin.  It is a response to an injury of the outer layer of the skin or epidermis. 

When should I call the doctor about my child’s cellulitis?