How do other illnesses affect cellulitis?

A number of medical conditions can increase your risk for cellulitis in one of two ways: by letting the bacteria into the body more easily or by not allowing the body to kill the bacteria properly after it has entered the body.

Any illnesses that create openings in the skin, through which bacteria can enter, increase your risk for cellulitis. For example, one symptom of diabetes is a wound that will not heal. A prolonged opening in the skin will greatly increase your risk for cellulitis. A history of peripheral vascular disease also increases your risk.

An illness that damages your immune system or that requires immunosuppressant medication can also increase your risk, since your immune system kills the bacteria that cause cellulitis.

Continue Learning about Cellulitis

When should I call the doctor about my child’s cellulitis?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor if:The infection gets worse, or is not better in two days.An abscess (a sor...
How do I manage my cellulitis on a daily basis?
If you have symptoms of cellulitis (redness, swelling, heat, and soreness in a limited area), you sh...
How common is cellulitis?
Cellulitis is a common illness that can affect people of any age. Facial cellulitis is more common i...
Does cellulitis affect children differently than adults?
If you or your child have symptoms of cellulitis such as redness, swelling, or pain; you should go t...