When should I call my doctor if I have tooth decay?

If you are having any tooth pain, you should contact your dentist. This can be a sign of decay and cavities. You also shouldn't wait for pain to see your dentist. By scheduling regular visits for screenings and cleanings, you can help prevent this problem before it's too late.

The time to call your dentist if you become aware of tooth decay is NOW!

The better time to call is before you become aware of the decay, when the involved area may be smaller and therefore easier to treat. Also, there may be less chance of sensitivity and pulpal involvement.

Of course, as with many other problems with our body and in our mouth, it is always a good idea to remember, "don’t wait till it hurts."
If you think you have tooth decay, you should call your dentist immediately. Decay in teeth worsens with time. Decay caught early can be fixed with fillings. As the decay deepens into the tooth, the chances of needing a root canal increase. Decay can also lead to abscessed teeth. If decay destroys most of the tooth, it may need to be extracted. Your dentist can best decide the treatment for your decayed teeth.

Continue Learning about Cavities

What are some common risk factors for tooth decay?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you don't brush your teeth twice a day, floss once a day and make regular dental visits, you are ...
What are the benefits of fluoride for people with diabetes?
Fluoride decreases the risk of cavities. Diabetics tend to have more dental cavities, a greater risk...
Where do cavities usually occur?
Cavities can occur around the edges, or a margin, of fillings, and is common for older adults. Over ...
What research and public policy is being done about cavities?
Research is being conducted on a vaccine that may prevent cavities. Dentists are currently researchi...