What is the use of dental fillings?

A cavity destroys part of the structure of a tooth, allowing it to break, and preventing it from functioning properly. A filling is meant to replace the damaged part of a tooth, after the cavity is cleaned out.
A dental filling, which may be placed with a variety of materials, restores a fractured, chipped, decayed and sometimes worn tooth. When a tooth has extensive deterioration, a large filling can restore the tooth but not necessarily keep the weak areas from fracturing.

When the tooth is extensively broken down, often a crown may be indicated to provide a more secure restoration that can help to prevent fracture and further breakdown of tooth structure.

Continue Learning about Cavities

What research and public policy is being done about cavities?
Research is being conducted on a vaccine that may prevent cavities. Dentists are currently researchi...
What types of food should someone with cavities avoid?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you have cavities it's a good idea to avoid very hard and very sticky foods. These foods can get ...
When should I call my doctor if I have tooth decay?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
If you think you have tooth decay, you should call your dentist immediately. Decay in teeth worsens ...
What is tooth decay?
Russell P. Fitton III., DDSRussell P. Fitton III., DDS
Tooth decay is the disease process that causes tooth destruction. It is caused by bacteria on the to...