What research and public policy is being done about cavities?

Research is being conducted on a vaccine that may prevent cavities. Dentists are currently researching the practicality of this vaccine and to what extent it may be helpful. In some parts of the country, communities are adding fluoride to the public water supply. Fluoride strengthens tooth enamel and in doing so prevents cavities. Ask your local elected officials if the water in your community is fluoridated.

Continue Learning about Cavities

When should I seek immediate help if I have dental caries?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Dental caries are cavities, and you may or may not experience any pain or symptoms. If you do experi...
Why are adults at risk for tooth decay?
Changes that occur with aging make cavities an adult problem. Recession of the gums away from the te...
What types of food should someone with cavities avoid?
People with cavities should avoid sticky foods that may stick to their teeth. Sugary foods and some ...
What are some common risk factors for tooth decay?
If you don't brush your teeth twice a day, floss once a day and make regular dental visits, you are ...