How does fluoride help cavities?

Fluoride is one of the best ways to prevent and restore any damage done by cavities. Fluoride is a mineral that strengthens the enamel of the tooth so that it is more durable against the acid which causes cavities. Fluoride treatment is also effective in restoring any early decay of the enamel. Fluoride is present in tap water, some mouthwashes, and toothpastes. Frequent use of fluoride is a good way to maintain a healthy oral hygiene.
Fluoride is a mineral that occurs naturally in all water sources, including the ocean. Research shows that fluoride can prevent cavities in children and adults by making teeth more resistant to the acid attacks that cause cavities. Fluoride also helps repair the early stages of tooth decay even before the decay can be seen.

Continue Learning about Cavities

What can happen if my dental caries are not treated?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Dental caries, or tooth decay, destroys tooth enamel. Recession of the gums away from the teeth, com...
What types of food should someone with cavities avoid?
People with cavities should avoid sticky foods that may stick to their teeth. Sugary foods and some ...
What are cavities?
Globally, cavities are a widespread concern. They are portions of your teeth that have rotted and re...
How does tooth decay affect my body?
Thomas Connelly, Online InfluencerThomas Connelly, Online Influencer
The first way is that tooth decay, if left alone, will eventually cause a cavity. This is almost alw...