What causes parasitic skin infections?

Most parasitic skin infections are caused by worms and insects. The female parasites dig into the skin and lay their eggs. Once the eggs mature and hatch, they come back up to the surface of the skin, where they grow into mature parasites. Then they either go on to spread to other parts of the body, or, through direct contact, to infect other people. Some infections, like myiasis, are caused by flies. In these cases, the eggs are deposited onto the skin by insects, like mosquitoes. When the eggs hatch, the larvae dig into the skin and grow into mature larvae, which then usually come back up to the surface of the skin and leave the host to continue its life. The itchy skin irritation is an allergic reaction to the parasites, their eggs, and feces.

Continue Learning about Causes Of Parasitic Infections

Are parasitic skin infections serious?
Most parasitic skin infections are not serious. They are uncomfortable, itchy, and easily treated. H...
How can I get parasites?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
There are a number of ways to contract parasites. Food is one pathway for parasites to enter you...
What Increases My Risk for Parasitic Infections?
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?