How is ascariasis (roundworm) transmitted to humans?

The eggs produced by roundworms living in soil are transmitted to humans when swallowed. The eggs can be transmitted via human feces found in fields, streets, and back yards. The eggs hatch into worms that cause pain and vomiting in the intestines. They also can travel through the bloodstream to the lungs to cause wheezing and coughing.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Causes Of Parasitic Infections

Can insect bites cause parasitic infections?
Insect bites are a common cause of parasitic infections. The bite of infected mosquitoes and certain...
What causes protozoan infections?
Protozoan infections are caused by single-celled parasites called protozoa. When these parasites are...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?
What Increases My Risk for Parasitic Infections?