How do I know when I'm ready for cataract surgery?

• Surgery should be considered when cataracts cause enough loss of vision to interfere with your daily activities.

It is not true that cataracts need to be “ripe” before they can be removed or that they need to be removed just because they are present.

Cataract surgery can be performed when your visual needs require it. You must decide if you can see well enough to do your job, drive safely, and read or watch TV in comfort. Does your vision allow you to perform daily tasks such as cooking, shopping, doing yard work or taking medications without difficulty?

Based on your symptoms, you and your ophthalmologist should decide together when surgery is appropriate.

Do patients need to wear glasses after cataract surgery?