How common are cataracts in people with diabetes?

Many people without diabetes get cataracts, but people with diabetes are 60 percent more likely to develop this eye condition. People with diabetes also tend to get cataracts at a younger age and have them progress faster. With cataracts, the eye's clear lens clouds, blocking light.

To help deal with mild cataracts, you may need to wear sunglasses more often and use glare-control lenses in your glasses. For cataracts that interfere greatly with vision, doctors usually remove the lens of the eye. Sometimes the patient gets a new transplanted lens.

Continue Learning about Cataracts

Does exfoliation mean I need cataract surgery?
James J. Salz, MDJames J. Salz, MD
Exfoliation of the lens capsule means the surface fibers on the outer membrane (capsule) of the lens...
What happens during a cataract surgery?
Cataract surgery is quite routine these days. Generally you will be asked not to eat for a certain t...
How is surgery used to treat cataracts?
Once a cataract begins to affect a person's ability to perform their normal, day-today activities, d...
What vision problems can be corrected at the same time as my cataract?
Michael Reynard, MDMichael Reynard, MD
The primary purpose of cataract surgery is to restore clarity of vision by removing a cloudy lens an...