How is cat-scratch disease treated?

The symptoms of cat scratch disease (CSD) like swollen lymph nodes or a minor rash will usually go away on their own within 2 to 4 months. However, if you suffer from a weakened immune system or your symptoms are very bothersome, you may want to seek treatment. In some cases, a lymph node may become too large and the doctor may want to drain the fluid from it. For someone with a weakened immune system or bothersome symptoms, the doctor may prescribe an antibiotic like azithromycin.

Continue Learning about Cat Scratch Disease

How is cat-scratch disease diagnosed?
Cat scratch disease (CSD) is diagnosed by the presence of symptoms like swollen lymph nodes and a ma...
How do I manage my cat scratch disease on a daily basis?
You can manage your cat scratch disease (CSD) on a daily basis by keeping the area of infection clea...
How can I help prevent cat-scratch disease?
To prevent cat scratch disease, avoid stray and unfamiliar cats, and avoid rough play with pet cat...
How do cats develop the bacteria for cat scratch disease?
Cats receive the bacteria necessary for cat scratch disease (CSD), Bartonella henselae, from fleas t...