What is carpal tunnel syndrome?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition that occurs when something—usually bone or swollen tissue—puts pressure on a nerve and causes tingling, numbness or weakness. The carpal tunnel itself is the "tunnel" or passageway that goes down the palm side of the wrist and protects the median nerve (a nerve that controls the thumb and fingers). Ligaments and tendons that connect to the fingers are also found in the carpal tunnel. These tissues can become swollen for a number of reasons, and when they swell, they put pressure on the median nerve. This causes the pain and numbness that's associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. Carpal tunnel is often associated with repetitive hand motions such as typing.

Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a progressively painful wrist problem caused by repetitive movement of the wrist. The carpal tunnel is located on the front of the wrist and is formed by the bones of the wrist and the transverse carpal ligament that crosses the wrist. Typically, repetitive wrist flexion or possibly trauma to the front of the wrist will lead to inflammation of the tendons that lie within the carpal tunnel.

Swelling, associated with the inflammation, presses on the median nerve, which is also located in this area. Sensory changes and/or weakness in the hand may occur. CTS may be related to the use of sporting equipment, such as when paddles are worn to improve the stroke in swimming.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

When should I call my doctor if I have carpal tunnel syndrome?
Dr. David A. Cautilli, MDDr. David A. Cautilli, MD
If you feel that you have a problem with your hands—a loss of strength, pain, numbness, tingling or ...
How can I position my keyboard to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome?
Positioning your computer keyboard improperly can increase your chances of developing carpal tunnel ...
Is carpal tunnel syndrome life-threatening?
Carpal tunnel syndrome and its symptoms are not life-threatening. The symptoms of carpal tunnel synd...
How do carpal tunnel syndrome and ulnar nerve entrapment differ?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
With carpal tunnel syndrome, a large nerve (called the median nerve) is squeezed as it travels throu...