When should I call my doctor if I have carpal tunnel syndrome?

David A. Cautilli, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
If you feel that you have a problem with your hands -- a loss of strength, pain, numbness, tingling or things that wake you up at night -- you may have carpal tunnel syndrome and should be evaluated. Most people chalk it up to the aging process and don't necessarily get things looked at. By the time people go to the doctor to get treated, their symptoms are fairly advanced and sometimes could have been prevented or made better earlier.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

What is the carpal tunnel?
David A. Cautilli, MDDavid A. Cautilli, MD
The carpal tunnel is an area in the wrist that everyone has. It's a space that's surrounded by bone ...
What nerve tests are used to diagnose carpal tunnel syndrome?
Dr. Prosper A. Benhaim, MDDr. Prosper A. Benhaim, MD
To diagnose carpal tunnel syndrome, the most common nerve test that is performed is a nerve conducti...
What Is Carpal Tunnel?
What Is Carpal Tunnel?
Help for Aching Hands and Wrists
Help for Aching Hands and Wrists