How common is carpal tunnel syndrome?

The prevalance is estimated at about 1 in 20 people with women getting it about 3 times more frequently than men.
Dr. Prosper A. Benhaim, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

Carpal tunnel syndrome is the most common nerve problem caused by compression, known as compression neuropathy. The prevalence in the adult population in the United States is estimated to be proximally 3 percent to 6 percent of all people. Approximately half of people with carpal tunnel syndrome will have involvement of both the right and left hands. 

Carpal tunnel syndrome is quite common, although the exact number of cases is unknown. The most commonly affected demographic is women who are between 45 and 54 years of age. Then, the risk increases for both men and women as they age. Some doctors have estimated that the chance of an adult developing carpal tunnel syndrome at some point is about 10 percent.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

When should I call my doctor if I have carpal tunnel syndrome?
David A. Cautilli, MDDavid A. Cautilli, MD
If you feel that you have a problem with your hands -- a loss of strength, pain, numbness, tingling ...
Can carpal tunnel syndrome cause permanent damage?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
The short answer is yes. People often describe their symptoms as feeling like there is no blood supp...
Help for Aching Hands and Wrists
Help for Aching Hands and Wrists
What Is Carpal Tunnel?
What Is Carpal Tunnel?