What is the prognosis for fibromuscluar dysplasia (FMD)?

Currently there is no cure for FMD. Medicines and angioplasty can reduce the risk of initial or recurrent stroke. In rare cases, FMD-related aneurysms can burst and bleed into the brain, causing stroke, permanent nerve damage, or death.

This answer from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke has been reviewed and/or edited by Dr. William D. Knopf.

Continue Learning about Carotid Artery Disease

When should carotid artery disease be treated?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Carotid artery disease, also called carotid artery stenosis, occurs when the carotid arteries, the m...
How can I help prevent plaque buildup if I have carotid artery stenosis?
Dr. Joaquin Solis, MDDr. Joaquin Solis, MD
There are steps you can take to help lessen further plaque buildup in your arteries if you have caro...
What is fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD)?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD) is the abnormal development or growth of cells in the walls of arterie...
What Is Carotid Artery Disease?
What Is Carotid Artery Disease?