What happens if I have carotid stenosis?

Carotid artery blockage can be serious, although many patients with some degree of blockage may have no symptoms.
If the degree of plaque becomes severe, or if the plaque becomes unstable, this may result in either diminished blood flow to the brain, or pieces of plaque breaking off and travelling to the brain and causing a stroke or a mini-stroke ("TIA"). Sometimes this can affect vision to one of the eyes.

Continue Learning about Carotid Artery Disease

What are the symptoms of carotid artery disease?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
In some cases, the first sign of carotid artery disease could be a stroke. However, one may experien...
How are carotid artery stents put in?
Dr. Bruce H. Gray, DODr. Bruce H. Gray, DO
Carotid artery stents have been available over 10 years and are placed using the technique in which ...
How are MRA and CT scanning used to diagnose carotid artery disease?
Lakeview Regional Medical CenterLakeview Regional Medical Center
An MRA is a type of imaging. In my opinion, it does not provide more information than a CT scan and ...
What Is Carotid Artery Disease?
What Is Carotid Artery Disease?