How are carotid artery stents put in?

Dr. Bruce H. Gray, DO
Vascular Surgeon

Carotid artery stents have been available over 10 years and are placed using the technique in which a needle is used to gain access to the artery, a wire is passed through the circulation over which a balloon catheter or stent can be delivered to a treatment site. After the treatment only a small skin nick is seen. No incision is necessary. 

In about 50 percent of the cases of carotid artery blockages, a carotid artery stent can be placed into the groin by an interventional cardiologist in a cardiac catheterization lab. In more severe cases this procedure would be done in an operating room by a cardiac or vascular surgeon in order to access the carotid artery directly.

Continue Learning about Carotid Artery Disease

What causes carotid artery disease?
SCAISCAI
As we age, cholesterol and fatty substances build up in our arteries, causing the arteries to narrow...
How can I help prevent plaque buildup if I have carotid artery stenosis?
Lakeview Regional Medical CenterLakeview Regional Medical Center
If you have carotid artery stenosis you will want to prevent plaque buildup by taking cholesterol-lo...
What is fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD)?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD) is the abnormal development or growth of cells in the walls of arterie...
What Is Carotid Artery Disease?
What Is Carotid Artery Disease?