When should I put my loved one with Alzheimer's in a care facility?

Eric Pfeiffer
Psychiatry
As the burdens of caregiving increase, you will need to face what may be one of the most agonizing decisions you will ever make: when to place your loved one into a care facility especially designed for memory-impaired persons. As the person you are caring for becomes less and less able to cooperate with you, in terms of dressing and bathing, but especially in terms of getting to the bathroom on time, it will be best to consider finding a place where more than one person will be able to provide the needed care, i.e., admission to either an assisted living facility or a specialized memory care unit in a nursing home. It will simply not be possible for one person to physically care for someone who can no longer cooperate actively with the caregiver. Moreover, you should not have to make this decision by yourself, but should do so in concert with the patient’s doctor who can advise you when the time is right to implement this decision. Please be assured that in making this decision, you are in no way abandoning the care of your loved one. You will still be in charge, although perhaps somewhat at arm’s length, of assuring the proper care is provided. Please be further assured that at this stage of the disease, care in a specialized facility will be the absolutely best thing that you can do for the affected person.
The Art of Caregiving in Alzheimer's Disease

This is an A to Z Guide to the caregiving experience in Alzheimer's disease. It is easy to read, easy to follow. It is authorative, based on thirty years of experieReconce in caring for Alzheimer's...

Continue Learning about Caring For Someone Who Has Alzheimer's Disease

How can caregivers handle personality changes in people with Alzheimer's?
Peter Gliebus, MDPeter Gliebus, MD
To handle personality changes in people with Alzherimer's disease, caregivers have to learn to first...
Should I correct a person with Alzheimer's disease if he's wrong?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
You can correct a person with Alzheimer's disease if he is wrong at the beginning of the condition, ...
As a caregiver, what do I need to do in the early stages of Alzheimer's?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
During these early stages of the disease, the demands made on the caregiver are relatively modest. P...
How can I protect someone with memory problems from wandering?
Judith London, MDJudith London, MD
Here are four things you can do within the home to protect someone from wandering:Install locks well...