Is it a good idea to go on a cruise with a loved one with Alzheimer's?

Eric Pfeiffer
Psychiatry
Cruises for a few days, up to two weeks, are almost ideal ways of giving both you and your loved one a break. This should be done in the early or middle stages of the disease, so that your loved can still maneuver about, enjoy the sights and sounds, the entertainment and all the other activities, and oh, the meals, under your supervision. Careful planning needs to go into this to assure that the cruise will not be too demanding on either one of you, but the self-contained environment of a cruise can be very enjoyable for both patient and caregiver. Or you might want to take another caregiver, a relative or friend, along to share caregiving duties. And then tell your caregiver support group about the experience! I bet you will get a round of applause, and a little bit of envy.
The Art of Caregiving in Alzheimer's Disease

This is an A to Z Guide to the caregiving experience in Alzheimer's disease. It is easy to read, easy to follow. It is authorative, based on thirty years of experieReconce in caring for Alzheimer's...

Continue Learning about Caring For Someone Who Has Alzheimer's Disease

When should I put my loved one with Alzheimer's in a care facility?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
As the burdens of caregiving increase, you will need to face what may be one of the most agonizi...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with Alzheimer's disease?
Dr. Eric PfeifferDr. Eric Pfeiffer
Here are some things to consider when caring for someone with Alzheimer's disease: Memory Loss - ...
How can I reduce my loved one's stress during an Alzheimer's evaluation?
John H. Growdon, MDJohn H. Growdon, MD
To help alleviate any stress associated with your visit with a family member to the physician, i...
How can I protect someone with memory problems from wandering?
Judith London, MDJudith London, MD
Here are four things you can do within the home to protect someone from wandering:Install locks well...