How can caregivers handle personality changes in people with Alzheimer's?

To handle personality changes in people with Alzherimer's disease, caregivers have to learn to first understand that any change of the personality is the disease, not that the person is really changing. It's a difficult adjustment caregivers have to make. Frequently, there are overall changes in the personality with people with Alzheimer's disease.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Caring For Someone Who Has Alzheimer's Disease

What should I do if I suspect that a loved one has Alzheimer's disease?
If a person suspects that a loved one has Alzheimer's disease, she should speak to a physician. The ...
What are the safety concerns for people in the early stages of Alzheimer's?
In early Alzheimers, the primary safety concerns would be related to loss in short term memory and h...
How can I protect someone with memory problems from wandering?
Judith London, MDJudith London, MD
Here are four things you can do within the home to protect someone from wandering:Install locks well...
How can I manage the behavior of a loved one with Alzheimer's disease?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
Behavioral problems are generally quite mild at the early stage of the disease. They tend to ste...