Why does my autistic child want to spend so much time with animals?

William Stillman
Health Education
Individuals with autism can be acutely sensitive, vibrating with a frequency that supersedes those who are “neuro-typical,” especially as it relates to all the senses. It is not uncommon for children and adults with autism to have unique, unspoken bonds with all kinds of animals. Remember St. Francis? He could communicate with animals of all species, even fish; and I’ve documented similar instances of conjoining between people with autism and domestic and wild animals. In her book, Animals in Translation, renown autistic author Temple Grandin compares her picture-thinking aptitude (how I also think) with that of animals. It is through the exchange of mental imagery that some children and adults with autism communicate with animals. If you’re familiar with how animal communicators or animal “psychics” work, you’ll know that the premise of image-swapping is similar.

I hope that helps explain things a bit. Pay careful attention to the manner in which other animals are drawn to your child -- house pets, birds, butterflies, and squirrels for example. I’ll bet, if you hadn’t noticed it before, that you’ll see an interaction occurring during those times.

Continue Learning about Caring For Someone With ASD

How can a child's autism affect his or her parents' marriage?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
It has been estimated that the divorce rate is in the 80% range in families with children who ha...
How can I help the sibling of my child with autism?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
Having a sibling with autism can be difficult. Make sure that the lines of communication are ope...
Teaching Kids Empathy for Those with Autism and Special Needs
Where Can Families Go to Get Financial Help for Autism Treatment?