How do I potty train my autistic child?

Potty training can be a huge challenge for autistic children. In general it is important not to push or force potty training on an autistic child -- as you know they do not respond well to changes, uncomfortable situations, or anger. Have specific times of day when you try to have the child sit on the potty for several minutes -- the best times are usually shortly after meals because that's when the body naturally "needs to go." When they are on the potty, let them do something they enjoy -- play with a toy, look at a book, sing a song, etc. If they don't go after the allotted time, don't make a big deal; just try again later. If they do go, there should be some positive reinforcement (this is one time I advocate bribery!). Autistic children often have issues with constipation due to their medications or restricted diets, and that makes it very hard to potty train them. Do your best to have them stay well hydrated, eat high-fiber foods, and take any medications that are prescribed.

Continue Learning about Caring For Someone With ASD

How do I talk to my child or teen with autism about sex?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
Sexuality is a topic that most parents are not comfortable discussing with their children, even ...
How can a child's autism affect his or her parents' marriage?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
It has been estimated that the divorce rate is in the 80% range in families with children who ha...
Where Can Families Go to Get Financial Help for Autism Treatment?
Sharing Care: Autism Surfs—Gatlin’s Story