How do I manage my child's autism spectrum disorder on a daily basis?

If you have a child with an autism spectrum disorder, you may find that caring for your child on a daily basis is difficult and exhausting. One thing you can do to manage the daily stress of caring for your child is to make sure you follow through with all therapies at home. Maintaining consistency in your child's daily life is extremely important.

In addition, make sure you are getting the rest and relaxation you need as an individual. You may find that taking time out for yourself or your marriage will help you manage the daily stresses better. Joining a support groups may also help you develop strategies for daily living you can use at home.

Sarine Salama
Sarine Salama on behalf of MDLIVE
Providing a routine that your child adheres to on a daily basis can help with managing autism on a daily basis. Try to expose your child to a wide variety of environments and stimulants so that you can expand your horizon and be able to do different activities with them. Using a picture schedule on the wall helps the child know what comes next in their day and if they are unable to communicate, possibly working with a speech pathologist to implement a PECS system into your home

Continue Learning about Caring For Someone With ASD

How can a child's autism affect his or her parents' marriage?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
It has been estimated that the divorce rate is in the 80% range in families with children who ha...
How can I teach my autistic daughter how to deal with changes?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
Adults on the autism spectrum that I interviewed for my book Autism Life Skills related that one of ...
Teaching Kids Empathy for Those with Autism and Special Needs
Where Can Families Go to Get Financial Help for Autism Treatment?