How can having a passionate interest benefit people with autism?

William Stillman
Health Education
For the person with autism, passions may be a bridge to enhancing relationships, decoding mystifying educational curriculum, or developing a viable vocation. Such individuals oftentimes possess encyclopedic knowledge pertaining to their special interests, or can lend insights unique to the autistic way of thinking when it comes time to problem-solve. For those fortunate to hold dear a passion that is not mislabeled as an “obsession,” social acceptance may by acknowledged by virtue of their place in the community and the manner in which they are revered for what it is they have to offer.

Continue Learning about Caring For Someone With ASD

How can a child's autism affect his or her parents' marriage?
Chantal Sicile-KiraChantal Sicile-Kira
It has been estimated that the divorce rate is in the 80% range in families with children who ha...
How do I cope with my sadness as the parent of a child with autism?
William StillmanWilliam Stillman
You must discern the source of your sadness in order to heal it. Are you mourning the loss of the ch...
Where Can Families Go to Get Financial Help for Autism Treatment?
Sharing Care: Autism Surfs—Gatlin’s Story