What should I do when mistakes in my child's diabetes care happen?

As you and your child set out on the journey of life with diabetes, you'll find that each day is a little different and you both may make mistakes along the way.

Mistakes can make you feel guilty, scared and stressed. But try to focus on the next step. The important thing to remember is that you can't be perfect and everyone makes mistakes.

When mistakes happen:
  • Prepare for the "what if's" by talking with your diabetes care team (D-team). For example, ask what to do if your child misses an insulin shot, eats without covering, takes too much insulin or has a high or low blood glucose (BG).
  • Remember that everyone with diabetes has high and low BGs even if their diabetes control is considered very good or excellent.
  • Don't play the blame game. Whether it's your mistake, your spouse's or your child's, learn from it and move on. Remember that some BG highs and lows are due to things you or your child cannot control. Out of range BG levels can be caused by stress, hormones or for no obvious reason at all.

Continue Learning about Caring for a Child with Diabetes

Diabetes Tips for Kids, Tweens and Teens
Blood sugar control is a challenge for anyone with diabetes -- but it's particularly difficult for kids and teens who aren't experienced in meal plann...
Will my child’s diabetes diagnosis affect our family dynamic?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Any kind of change can upset the family dynamic. How you treat your children and how they interact w...
What can I do when family members give sweets to a diabetic child?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Reach out very gently, wrap your hands around their necks, and squeeze until you feel better.I’ll le...
Is It Common for Kids to Feel Depressed About Their Diabetes?