What should I do when mistakes in my child's diabetes care happen?

As you and your child set out on the journey of life with diabetes, you'll find that each day is a little different and you both may make mistakes along the way.

Mistakes can make you feel guilty, scared and stressed. But try to focus on the next step. The important thing to remember is that you can't be perfect and everyone makes mistakes.

When mistakes happen:
  • Prepare for the "what if's" by talking with your diabetes care team (D-team). For example, ask what to do if your child misses an insulin shot, eats without covering, takes too much insulin or has a high or low blood glucose (BG).
  • Remember that everyone with diabetes has high and low BGs even if their diabetes control is considered very good or excellent.
  • Don't play the blame game. Whether it's your mistake, your spouse's or your child's, learn from it and move on. Remember that some BG highs and lows are due to things you or your child cannot control. Out of range BG levels can be caused by stress, hormones or for no obvious reason at all.

Continue Learning about Caring for a Child with Diabetes

What should be my top priority when my child is diagnosed with diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
If you have a child with diabetes, your top priority will be to help your child manage the disease w...
What should I give my child with diabetes for a nighttime snack?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
These nighttime snacks for children with diabetes contain about 15 grams of carbohydrate plus some f...
What diabetes care tips should I teach my child's babysitter?
Before leaving your child in someone's care, it's important that the sitter knows that every person ...
Is It Common for Kids to Feel Depressed About Their Diabetes?