What diabetes care tips should I teach my child's babysitter?

Before leaving your child in someone's care, it's important that the sitter knows that every person with diabetes is different—and so is their diabetes care plan. Be prepared to train every babysitter to know:

• How and when to check blood glucose (BG) and ketones: Demonstrate how to use your child's meter, and then ask your babysitter to practice preparing the meter and checking your child's BG.
  • Your child's target BG range: Provide detailed instructions on what to do if the BG is high or low.
  • How to administer insulin: Demonstrate the process and let your babysitter practice, if possible. Write down your child's insulin regimen clearly so the correct dose is given.
  • Your child's signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia and what to do if these occur.
  • What to do in an emergency situation: Describe when and how to administer glucagon. Show your babysitter where all of your emergency supplies are kept. Make sure your babysitter knows how to reach you with a question or in an emergency.

Provide foods you know your child with diabetes will like. Involve your child in planning the meals and snacks to ensure he will be willing to eat what you prepare. Give a schedule and menu to the babysitter for each meal and snack, and indicate how much insulin your child will need to cover each food.

If your child refuses to eat or wants something else, review substitute foods or ask the babysitter to call you with questions. Be sure to talk with your child about the importance of eating the meal or snack.

Finding a babysitter can be a big challenge for parents of kids with diabetes. One great way to find an experienced babysitter is to meet other families like yours. Through the American Diabetes Association's Family Link, Diabetes Camp or other events, you can meet other families of kids with diabetes.

Continue Learning about Caring for a Child with Diabetes

How can I prepare for when my child with diabetes becomes sick?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Create a "sick day notebook" to help you keep track of everything when your child is sick. In your n...
How can I help my child manage diabetes?
Parents have a responsibility for their child's oral health, especially if they have diabetes. If yo...
What should I give my child with diabetes for a nighttime snack?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
These nighttime snacks for children with diabetes contain about 15 grams of carbohydrate plus some f...
Is It Common for Kids to Feel Depressed About Their Diabetes?