What should I do when my child first enters school with diabetes?

If your child with diabetes is entering a school for the first time, meet several weeks before school starts with the school principal, school nurse, teachers and other school personnel who will have direct contact with your child.

If your child with diabetes is in preschool, you are still responsible for making sure your child has healthy foods, checks blood glucose whenever necessary, and takes the right type and dose of insulin at the right time. But there is nothing wrong with letting your child begin to take over some of these tasks, with supervision. Insulin pens may make it easier for your child to help with injections.

With your healthcare team, discuss the developmental stages of your child and when your child can assume some of his or her self-care. As your child matures, he can take on more and more of the tasks. As your child matures during this period, it is essential that she learn to take responsibility for her own care and decisions, because she will often be with friends or at school and out of your watchful vision.

Continue Learning about Caring for a Child with Diabetes

Diabetes Tips for Kids, Tweens and Teens
Blood sugar control is a challenge for anyone with diabetes -- but it's particularly difficult for kids and teens who aren't experienced in meal plann...
How can I relax when I give my child insulin shots?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Whether you have to give one or get one, insulin shots and finger pokes for blood glucose (BG) check...
Will my child’s diabetes diagnosis affect our family dynamic?
Any kind of change can upset the family dynamic. How you treat your children and how they interact w...
Is It Common for Kids to Feel Depressed About Their Diabetes?