How can I prepare myself to give my child insulin shots?

To prepare and build confidence when giving your child insulin shots:
  • Practice. Your diabetes care team (D-team) will help you practice preparing shots and infusion sites, and checking blood glucose (BG) levels. Ask them if you can practice by giving yourself a shot of saline (salt water). Do not practice with insulin. You'll see it's not so bad!
  • Know your options. Ask your doctor about short needle insulin syringes or insulin pens, and less painful BG meters. These can be less scary and painful for your child.
  • Change lancets often. Fresh lancets hurt less than used lancets that get duller with each use. Use a new one each time.
  • Involve your child or be involved in their care. If your child is young, let him pick the finger or site and count down so they feel part of the team. If your child is older, sit with him and help him to relax. Supervise in a subtle way by soothing with a loving touch or conversation while you watch. Provide positive feedback and guidance on the least painful way to do it. Once they've got it down, try not to hover.

Continue Learning about Caring for a Child with Diabetes

Will my child’s diabetes diagnosis affect our family dynamic?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Any kind of change can upset the family dynamic. How you treat your children and how they interact w...
Is it common for kids to feel depressed about their diabetes?
Studies have shown that adolescents with diabetes have lower "quality of life" scores and are more p...
What should I do when my child first enters school with diabetes?
If your child with diabetes is entering a school for the first time, meet several weeks before schoo...
Is It Common for Kids to Feel Depressed About Their Diabetes?