How can I prepare for when my child with diabetes becomes sick?

Create a "sick day notebook" to help you keep track of everything when your child is sick. In your notebook, include:

• The doctor's guidelines including when to call
  • Your diabetes care team's (D-team's) daytime and after-hours phone numbers
  • A copy of your child's insurance card
  • Sick day meal plans that deliver 50 grams of carbohydrates every 3-4 hours
  • A list of over-the-counter medicines that do not interfere with insulin or blood glucose (BG) levels
  • A record of BG readings, insulin dosages and carb counts of foods eaten
  • Comics, poems, pictures or anything else that may help your child feel better

Contact the doctor if your child with diabetes has:

• Had a fever for two days.
  • Been throwing up or having diarrhea for 6 hours.
  • Can't keep any fluids down, even small amounts (sips) of clear liquids.
  • Glucose levels are way over target range (ask your diabetes care team [D-team] how high) even with additional insulin.
  • Moderate or large urine ketones.
  • Any symptoms of dehydration or ketoacidosis including difficulty breathing, chest pains, fruity smelling breath or dry lips.

If blood glucose (BG) levels get too high, your child's body will start to produce ketones. High ketone levels that go unchecked can lead to diabetic ketoacidosis or a diabetic coma. If your child begins showing signs of ketoacidosis, go to the emergency room immediately!

Continue Learning about Caring for a Child with Diabetes

Is it common for kids to feel depressed about their diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Studies have shown that adolescents with diabetes have lower "quality of life" scores and are more p...
What should I teach an adult who is caring for my child with diabetes?
If your child will be going away without you, always make sure an adult is around who knows how to h...
What should be my top priority when my child is diagnosed with diabetes?
If you have a child with diabetes, your top priority will be to help your child manage the disease w...
Is It Common for Kids to Feel Depressed About Their Diabetes?