What should I keep in mind while taking my premature baby home?

When a baby goes home from the NICU they may have some special needs. General things that parents need to remember is to wash hands before handling the infant and after changing diapers, as well as to have visitors practice hand washing when near the infant. Also because the infant is vulnerable to infections it is important to limit visitor in the home and to not take baby out into crowds. While parent may need to perform some special procedures on the NICU graduate, it is also important to be a loving parent to the infant. Taking time to talk to, read to or sing to the baby and to cuddle or play are also important activities. Finally it is important that parents take time for themselves, both individually and as a couple.  

Continue Learning about Caring For A Premature Baby

How can I make it easier to feed my premature baby?
Sandra CarrollSandra Carroll
Preemies come with a unique set of feeding problems. Differences arise depending upon what gestation...
Should I give my preterm baby a pacifier?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you’re breastfeeding a preterm baby, don’t give your baby a pacifier during the first month of ...
What is skin-to-skin care for babies in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Skin-to-skin care in the NICU means holding your baby closely, with your bare skin touching. Thi...
How can I keep my preterm baby warm?
Late preterm babies often have trouble staying warm. Their bodies may have to work extra hard to w...