What should I keep in mind while taking my premature baby home?

When a baby goes home from the NICU they may have some special needs. General things that parents need to remember is to wash hands before handling the infant and after changing diapers, as well as to have visitors practice hand washing when near the infant. Also because the infant is vulnerable to infections it is important to limit visitor in the home and to not take baby out into crowds. While parent may need to perform some special procedures on the NICU graduate, it is also important to be a loving parent to the infant. Taking time to talk to, read to or sing to the baby and to cuddle or play are also important activities. Finally it is important that parents take time for themselves, both individually and as a couple.  

Continue Learning about Caring For A Premature Baby

What is the long-term treatment for premature babies?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Premature babies have unique issues that may need to be provided for by individualized follow-up ser...
What kinds of services and supports are available for premature babies?
March of DimesMarch of Dimes
Premature babies often need services that help with development and learning, including: Early i...
How can I keep my preterm baby warm?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Late preterm babies often have trouble staying warm. Their bodies may have to work extra hard to w...
How should I feed my preterm baby?
Your near-term baby needs to eat often -- at least eight times every 24 hours. That means every 2½...