When should I call my doctor about feeding issues with my preterm baby?

Call your baby’s doctor, or your lactation consultant, in these situations:
  • if your baby is eating fewer than eight times every 24 hours
  • if your baby is not having at least six wet diapers every 24 hours
  • if, by day four after birth, your baby is having fewer than four yellow stools (messy diapers) every 24 hours
  • if your baby is becoming increasingly yellow (jaundiced), especially below the belly button, on the soles of the feet and in the whites of the eyes
  • if your baby is not gaining at least 8 ounces (½ pound) every week

Continue Learning about Caring For A Premature Baby

How can I protect my preterm baby from germs?
Shakira HendersonShakira Henderson
Good hand hygiene is the fundamental practice to protect you and your baby. You may also want to con...
What monitors and equipment will my baby need after leaving the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Some babies will need to go home from the NICU with monitors or equipment. The most commonly used ho...
What do I need to know about tummy time for NICU babies?
Once home -- when your NICU baby is awake and being watched -- give her some play time on her tummy....
What are the health benefits of skin-to-skin care for NICU babies?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Skin-to-skin care for babies in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) is a time for the newborn to...