What is the long-term treatment for premature babies?

Premature babies have unique issues that may need to be provided for by individualized follow-up services over the long term. These may include Bayley developmental assessments conducted by pediatric physical and occupational therapists, dietician counseling, social services evaluation and physical examination.

“Early intervention is the key to appropriate motor and cognitive development in premature children,” says Santa Monica clinic coordinator Pat Croshere, RN. A multidisciplinary clinic may provide a formal assessment at 6 months of age and then continue to monitor children for appropriate growth and developmental milestones at 12 and 18 months of age. Some children are evaluated earlier than 6 months and continue to visit the clinic until they are 3 years old.

Following assessment of the child, a recommendation is sent to the family’s doctor. Parents may also receive recommendations for additional services provided by regional centers for children with developmental disabilities and chronic medical conditions. Education and counseling include appropriate feeding guidelines, instructions to improve musculature along the child’s spine and overall trunk control and advice to guide development of the child’s language and reading skills and to provide appropriate stimulation.

The long-term treatment for premature babies is dependent on the degree of prematurity and comorbidities. Many premature babies proceed to develop normally. There is a higher degree of risk involved with premature babies, and doctors will tend to want more frequent visits at least at the beginning.

Continue Learning about Caring For A Premature Baby

How are premature babies treated?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
When it becomes evident that a mother will deliver prematurely, she often is treated with antibiotic...
How should I feed my preterm baby?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Your near-term baby needs to eat often -- at least eight times every 24 hours. That means every 2½...
Should I give my preterm baby a pacifier?
If you’re breastfeeding a preterm baby, don’t give your baby a pacifier during the first month of ...
What do I need to know about tummy time for NICU babies?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Once home -- when your NICU baby is awake and being watched -- give her some play time on her tummy....