What do I need to know about tummy time for NICU babies?

Once home -- when your NICU baby is awake and being watched -- give her some play time on her tummy. Tummy time helps your baby’s muscles develop and helps her more quickly gain the skills to roll over, crawl, pull to a stand, and walk. Tummy time can also help prevent your baby’s head from flattening, which can happen if your baby spends all her time on her back.

Continue Learning about Caring For A Premature Baby

What kinds of services and supports are available for premature babies?
March of DimesMarch of Dimes
Premature babies often need services that help with development and learning, including: Early i...
How can I protect my preterm baby from germs?
Shakira HendersonShakira Henderson
Good hand hygiene is the fundamental practice to protect you and your baby. You may also want to con...
When should I get emergency care once my baby is home from the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Get emergency care for your NICU infant in the following cases: Bluish lips or skin Excessive ...
How can pumping breast milk help my premature baby?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Pumping will help bring in a good supply of milk, so your baby won’t have to work so hard. Start...