What is skin-to-skin care for babies in the NICU?

Skin-to-skin care in the NICU means holding your baby closely, with your bare skin touching. This is sometimes called kangaroo care. As soon as your baby’s nurse tells you your baby is ready, you can start to do skin-to-skin care. It’s a wonderful way to be close, and recent studies have shown that skin-to-skin care has important health benefits. Both parents can give skin-to-skin care.

Continue Learning about Caring For A Premature Baby

When should I call my doctor about feeding issues with my preterm baby?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call your baby’s doctor, or your lactation consultant, in these situations: if your baby is eating...
What kinds of services and supports are available for premature babies?
March of DimesMarch of Dimes
Premature babies often need services that help with development and learning, including: Early i...
What do I need to know about tummy time for NICU babies?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Once home -- when your NICU baby is awake and being watched -- give her some play time on her tummy....
How should I hold my premature baby?
Most babies like to stay curled up in fetal position. But your baby may not be strong enough to ho...