Should I give my preterm baby a pacifier?

If you’re breastfeeding a preterm baby, don’t give your baby a pacifier during the first month of life. This allows breastfeeding to become well established.

After your baby’s first month, feel free to give him a pacifier. Using a pacifier may help prevent sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

Continue Learning about Caring For A Premature Baby

How can I make sure my premature baby gets enough breast milk?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you’re breastfeeding, you can’t see how much milk your baby is drinking each time. To make su...
How can I tell if my preterm baby is getting enough milk?
Whether you’re feeding breast milk, formula, or both, you’ll know your baby is getting enough to e...
What are the health benefits of skin-to-skin care for NICU babies?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Skin-to-skin care for babies in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) is a time for the newborn to...
What do I need to know about tummy time for NICU babies?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Once home -- when your NICU baby is awake and being watched -- give her some play time on her tummy....